[Oberon] Global font change on OLR

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Sat Apr 2 20:19:03 CEST 2016

One of the features that attracted me to Oberon (on the SPARC station) was
the ability to change the size of the font when reading documents,
unchanged, from read only media.  As Chris has pointed out, these sorts of
details are available when you study the book.

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Srinivas Nayak <sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>
> I am grateful for your quick help.
> Following your help, I found System.ChangeFont, which changes the font
> globally.
> Hope you implicitly referred me this.
>
> Dear Members,
>
> Looks like, seeing many more simple/silly questions from me,
> all the senior members in this list are irritated/bored of me.
> I apologize and beg your pardon.
>
> Here are my feelings.
>
> It is never the case that I don't want to study or trying to learn things
> of my own.
> But sometimes I feel, I miss some points and hence that arises as a doubt.
> Also I don't implicitly complain that, good texts on the topic are absent,
> or already some members answered to a similar questions  earlier.
> But at times, I might have skipped them unintentionally or forgot.
>
> Not sure how members long associated with ETH and Oberon feel,
> but to me Oberon is still little difficult.
> May be that is due to my long time active acquaintance with Windows/Linux.
> I have some knowledge how to use GUI of Windows and CLI of Linux.
> But still, Oberon is a little challenge to me, though it has GUI/CLI both.
> I have seen people, who don't even know "C" of Computers, navigate and do
> many magics in Windows.
> I don't think I am able to do similarly in Oberon.
> In Linux, one simply goes to google and search for a command, reads the
> man page and done.
> I haven't seen such a facility here for Oberon.
> Again, these are not my complain against Oberon.
> I understand that Oberon is Oberon and not meant to be Windows and Linux.
> It has its own beauty and simplicity, but may be not the way common man
> thinks of.
> That is why I am here and still love Oberon, at least for its ability to
> offer GUI within a fraction of a floppy disk size.
>
> May be, a long time association with Oberon and developing programs within
> it for years,
> has raisen you all to a point, where things are at your finger tips.
> But I don't think I have acquired a fraction of such a experience,
> in last 4-5 years of my acquaintance with Oberon.
> So faults are mine, and I too feel that some times my questions are too
> simple.
>
> Regarding the books/papers...
> It is true that we have everything in literature,
> but to get desired information at the desired moment,
> one has to master or remember all the stuff from the books/papers.
> Again this comes by re-reading and practical experimentation which takes a
> little time.
> At the same time, (I feel) to ease the things a bit more,
> and to lessen the the time to get the desired information,
> we have forums/groups, where we get a friend circle where we can ask
> questions
> and get answers from friends in a minute which takes at least 5 minutes to
> get it from book.
> [...]

(email is my preferred communication media)
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle
Austin TX 78723-1814
(512)-348-7401