[Oberon] On Oberon Sources

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Sun Apr 3 22:25:33 CEST 2016

Oberon can create a plain ascii file directly.
When you open a Viewer, you create content.  If it is a TextViewer, that
content is a Text.
The files in the viewers are temporary.
You can Store the file at any time that you want.  The file then becomes
permanent, and has a name.  The name will be the name that appears on the
leftmost area of the menu bar of the viewer.  Previous files with the same
name are lost.
The default is to store an Oberon format file.  Many menus for TextViewers
will have a command not unlike *Edit.Store*
At any time, you may place the caret immediately after the e in Store, and
enter text to make the command say *StoreAscii*
When you activate that command, the saved file will be a plain ascii file.
You may, at your discretion, also change the document name.  For example,
you may want the document to be named PlainAscii.txt  To accomplish that,
edit the name in the leftmost area of the document menu bar, before the |
character.

In some versions, the command to store the ascii file is in a separate
editor, not the system default editor.  In that cate, edit the menu bar to
give the name of the correct command.

The total number of keystrokes and mouse clicks to accomplish this is very
small.  In keeping with the minimalist nature of Oberon, there is no
flashing red button with burning naked ladies saying This Way Back to
Unix.  It is minimalist.

I am answering your question How Come or Why Not.  You may intend to ask
"How Do I" instead.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Srinivas Nayak <sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Bob,
>
> I see that there are some converters.
> But how come Oberon isn't able to create a plain ascii file directly?
>
> I am not sure if plain ascii file has a format.
> I think, in a plain ascii file, the file content is just some ascii vale
> bytes.
> And ascii text files have no header.
>
> Am I mistaken?
>

> With thanks and best regards,
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Srinivas Nayak
>
> Home: http://www.mathmeth.com/sn/
> Blog: http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.in/
>
> On 04/03/2016 08:49 PM, Bob Walkden wrote:
>
>> In System3 there is an EditTools module which includes various converters.
>>
>> Note - they are converters. What you seem to want to do makes no sense.
>> Oberon and Linux use different file formats.

>> On 3 Apr 2016, at 16:07, Srinivas Nayak <sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You mean:
>>>>

>>> Yes. You took the words right out of my mouth!
>>>
>>> NativeOberon & LEO & V4 & BlueBottle/Aos [the only ones I know] can all
>>>>

>>> How?
>>>
>>> I clicked Edit.Open. Typed something into it. Then added a filename at
>>> viewer's title.
>>> Then clicked System.Store. I got the file. Oped in Linux. No Luck. It
>>> shows me blank!
>>> In Oberon when I open it, it has the same characters I typed.
>>> That means, I was not able to get a plain ascii file using Edit.Open in
>>> Oberon.
>>>
>>> Same I did using Script.Open. No luck. Similar observation.
>>>

>>> How do you create a plain ascii file?
>>> I tried all these in OLR.
>>> Because it is easy to create a file in Oberon and immidiately access the
>>> file from /olr folder in Linux.
>>> Never tried on my NO in vbox, because I don't know how to exchange file
>>> between NO and Linux.
>>>

>>> Kindly refer me the steps to create ascii file, if you are able to do so.
>>>

>>> Your question is WRONG.
>>>>

>>> You are right.
>>> My mistake. I want to know how to do it in NO alpha 2.3.6 (and OLR).
>>>

>>> With thanks and best regards,
>>>
>>> Yours sincerely,
>>> Srinivas Nayak
>>>
>>> Home: http://www.mathmeth.com/sn/
>>> Blog: http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.in/

(email is my preferred communication media)
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle
Austin TX 78723-1814
(512)-348-7401