[Oberon] Re (2): Trying to understand vertical scrolling

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 19:36:11 CEST 2016

It should be noted that Experimental Oberon (https://github.com/andreaspirklbauer/Oberon-experimental) is only the first of a series of experiments to explore potential future enhancements of the Oberon system that are currently under development, for example to make it available on touch display devices. Experimental Oberon (or at least some of its sub variants) is built in such a way that it should be agnostic of the underlying specific version of Oberon. I.e. it should be easy to make it available on top of *any* of the various variants of the Oberon system currently out there (although it has only been tested on top of Original Oberon). In addition, it makes the discussion of the difference in scrolling behaviour (e.g., between ET and Edit) mute, as scrolling is simply is not a problem in Experimental Oberon.
From: "Douglas G. Danforth" <danforth at greenwoodfarm.com>Date:	Mon, 11 Apr 2016 02:26:52 -0700
> There has been too much tinkering with Oberon.
> Too many flavors and versions.

Agreed, but ...

> I would much prefer to see a site dedicated to the use of Oberon
> (vanilla flavored).

Which vanilla?  California, Classic, Double, French?  =8~)
I prefer NO vanilla.  Not "no vanilla" of course.  I'm
partial to vanilla too.

Bugs exist and bug fixing isn't tinkering.  And there are
still sharp corners to smooth.  The differing scrolling
behaviours of Edit and ET for example.  Introductory
documentation should mention only ET and not Edit.  No sense
in trying to teach module extension before a Text larger
than a viewer can be read.

Also, new hardware appears.  Touchscreens weren't
ubiquitous in Ceres days.  The work of Andreas is likely
to be helpful or essential to a touchscreen interface.
Bravo Andreas!

Regards,               ... Lyall E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202