[Oberon] Data transfer in large amounts

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Jul 13 08:31:33 CEST 2016

Joerg:

dd is appropriate for cloning a disk image for a development board. A use case would be: I am setting up a lab with 20 boards with 20 identical images. Then using dd is an effective solution. No problem at all.

dd is not a way to work with files. A counter example: a student just recorded a 300 MB file (assuming that the filesystem was fixed to allow for using the SD card capacity.) Now imagine the poor guy transferring the entire disk image in order to extract his data file. I can't even think what his comment would be.

I am surprised that I need to say all this. A problem is a problem. It is not an asset.