[Oberon] Oberon on Ultibo on RPi w/o Linux

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Tue Aug 16 03:41:02 CEST 2016

>OLR should run natively on BeagleBone with Linux.

Peter:

1. Is OLR a user space application?
2. Does OLR run under Linux scheduler?
3. Is OLR providing workarounds for Linux scheduler time choppiness?

Explanation: My biggest concern with Linux is the choppiness of its scheduler. You never know how long a given action will take because it can be suspended and then activated at any time, usually with 1 ms granularity. It renders Linux a very poor real time environment. Texas Instruments is addressing this problem with Programmable Real Time Units (PRU) on the ARM-Sitara chip. These are great, but they are basically programmable state machines somewhat similar to Picoblaze (I am exaggerating a bit). I wonder if OLR can help with real time applications running on ARM under Linux, or is it just a regular user space app with all the scheduling baggage that Linux brings to the table.

Excuse me for being not very well informed about OLR.

Thank you,
Wojtek