[Oberon] Data transfer in large amounts

Lars noreply at z505.com
Mon Sep 5 12:10:43 CEST 2016

On Wed, July 13, 2016 12:31 am, Skulski, Wojciech wrote:

> I am surprised that I need to say all this. A problem is a problem. It
> is not an asset.

The only reason I see small file systems being an asset, is that for
example if you have a 500 GB or 1 terrabyte hard drive all of a sudden it
becomes impossible to check the hard drive for virus/spyware as it takes
days, if not weeks, to complete a full scan of the system.

Although I find 64 MB to be an utterly absurd size for a file system
today, I don't much like 1 terrabyte large hard drives either. Another
reason for small systems being an asset is data loss. If your hard drive
crashes, 500 GB or 1 TB of data is a huge data loss. Spread that out into
several 10 GB systems and if one crashes, at least it's only a small
system and not an entire 1 TB of data lost on a whim. When a hard drive
crashes usually the entire disk fails and goes corrupt, strangely enough.

I have had enough hard drive crashes to know that once it starts to fail
the entire disk becomes corrupted rather than just a few files. Previous
knowledge and rumors was that if a hard drive crashes you can recover a
lot of it... I have rarely found this to be the case even with advanced
recovery tools... a huge portion of data is lost when a disk goes bad.

But to limit the system to 64 MB, today, is absurd... 64 MB is a toy
system only for text file storage and not much else... I guess it's just a
learning system for storing oberon code and nothing more.... no large
complex AVI/MPG/JPG files, no large audio files...