[Oberon] revisions in sources.

Lars noreply at z505.com
Fri Sep 23 03:42:09 CEST 2016

On Fri, September 16, 2016 6:04 pm, Chris Burrows wrote:

> The more I pay for a product, the better service
> and support I expect.

Sometimes this is true, but with open source software often you get
friendly replies, quick features added to the software...  I.e. with
borland delphi you have to wait an entire year for a new bug fix to be
released sometimes or a new major feature, whereas with an open source
tool like lazarus you request a good feature and it can be done in 24
hours (just requested on recently).

On the other hand a lot of open source software becomes abandoned as there
is no reason to keep it alive (does not put bread on the table).

I think a good compromise in these cases is to offer a bounty system where
the software is open source, however anyone is free to offer $500.00 for a
feature or $20.00.  I've always wanted to merge commercial software with
non commercial software and I think a bounty system does just that. The
issue of course becomes whether or not the bounty system is popular enough
and whether enough people use it. With the freepascal bounty system I have
seen some bounty's go unnoticed and ignored.

Often, too, you'll get the people who are against bounties and just go
ahead and implement the feature for free without reimbursement as a gift.