[Oberon] Python for an Oberon user, derived from Oberon for a C++ user.

Lars noreply at z505.com
Thu Sep 29 00:02:03 CEST 2016

On Wed, September 28, 2016 3:47 pm, Frans-Pieter Vonck wrote:
> Looks what's happening in the Realm of the Snake.
> https://youtu.be/YgtL4S7Hrwo?t=11m25s
> explicit variable declarations...

 This reminds me of how perl slowly becomes more statically typed or
strongly typed too. Basically it goes like this: a bunch of redneck
cowbow programmers think they are too good for static strong typing, so
they release a dynamic language and everybody raves about how great it is
for 10-20 years.

 After maybe 12 years they start adding features that make the language
less and less like a dynamic language and start to introduce more safety,
paddling back (or peddling back, take your pick) on their old cowboy
redneck attitude they first had "we don't need no stinking static strong
typing, heck we don't even need Types at all!".

 After 20 years the language is no longer perl or python and is something
else entirely. Python version 20.562 no longer looks like python version
15.009890890 and has drastically changed, similar to how Perl went
through its transition of a throw together language to now a throw
together language with more static/safety features bolted on to it, and
some even would say it's a rewrite, which could be an ongoing attempt at
humor.