[Oberon] Oberon for a C++ user.

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:24:16 CEST 2016

Srinivas:
>> ... module unloading unsafe under Oberon.

> I see, in Oberon systems, we are not able to unload a module when it is used by others.
> System.ShowModules or similar command shows some kind of reference count attached to modules.
> Do you mean, this is not sufficient for security problem that you mentioned?

No, it is not sufficient. The reference shown by ShowModules refers to modules. The reference counting that I mentioned would refer to procedure variables. You can try it yourself. Write a module which imports another module and declares several procedure variables which you can assign at run time. Compile and execute. The imported module will have an import count of one. Now assign the procedures from the imported module to the variables. The import count will not change. Note, I have not tried this. I am speaking based on understanding how it all works.

Wojtek