[Oberon] Oberon for a C++ user.

Diego Sardina dsar at eml.cc
Sat Oct 1 12:04:12 CEST 2016

 > They are made a bit safer by requiring the type check of their
parameter list at compile time.
 > At run time they appear just like jumps. There is no run time test
whether the target of the jump
 > contains valid code. It is ironic because procedure variables are the
only object oriented
 > mechanism in Oberon-1 which was supposed to provide a safe
programming model.
 > But it is not safe.
 > [...]
 > I wonder if there is a way out.  Can this problem be solved within
the Oberon-1 framework?

It is possible to make procedure variables as safe as type bound
procedures just providing
them a type tag, so they are easier to trace and forbid module unloading
to prevent disaster.

 > Programming safety was supposed to set Oberon apart from C.

Safety also depends on implementation, Oberon compilers tend to generate
binaries with small
footprint both for size and run time.

--
Diego Sardina