[Oberon] Oberon for a C++ user.

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Oct 5 20:52:11 CEST 2016

Richard:

  with all due respect, I kindly disagree. First, I am not sure if there are many end users at this point. Second, the problem is common to all implementations, including BlackBox if I understand correctly. It would be good to pinpoint the origin of the problem and to find an elegant solution, if at all possible. It would benefit the broader community. Third, the Oberon and BlackBox claim to fame is rapid and safe development without the dreaded "segmentation violation" which is plaguing the C family. But here we have exactly that.

I do not know if you are a teacher, but if I was one then I could not teach good and safe programming techniques with Oberon only to say to students "you know what, it is crashing like everyone else". It is either one way or another.

Of course we can live with the crashing implementation, but then we can as well live with C like everyone is doing. At the end, there is a "reset" button to the rescue. Let's just use it and forget the elegant design.

Just my opinion.

W.