[Oberon] Windows Kill vs Oberon Free (was: Oberon for a C++ user)

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sat Oct 8 00:16:05 CEST 2016

I have been total mystified this last week observing this discussion. Now I
understand the misconception!

Clicking on System.Free on an arbitrary module in Oberon is like opening
Task Manager in Windows and killing an arbitrary process. I would no more
consider attempting to do that than I would:

* attempt to unload a module in Oberon that I was not in the process of
developing myself
* try to shoot myself in the foot
* try to saw through a branch that I was sitting on

However, in all of these cases I do not expect or want safeguards getting in
my way just in case I have a real good reason to 'do something stupid'

Regards,
Chris Burrows

CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com/RISC5