[Oberon] Oberon for a C++ user.

Richard Hable informujo at aon.at
Sat Oct 8 16:02:22 CEST 2016

Am 2016-10-07 um 19:17 schrieb Skulski, Wojciech:

> I do agree that code unloading is infrequent and it needs not be time
> critical. At the same time, I insist that code unloading needs be
> robust. It should not lead to system instability. Also note, that the
> user needs not be a developer to unload the code. A regular user can
> unload by accident while interclicking the mouse. Or the user may
> want to unload code after being done with an application, in order to
> make space for another application.

I have never felt the need to unload any module other than one currently
under development. And during development all sorts of bad things
happen: NIL accesses, array bounds violations, endless loops, even stack
overflows due to unlimited recursion, which can lead to memory
corruption and crash the system. Trap viewers all over the place,
without even having to use any unsafe language feature from the System
module...

Outdated procedure references belong to the least common problems. Let's
not blow them out of proportion.

Interesting discussion, though. :)

Richard