[Oberon] New member of OLR family: RISC-V

Aubrey.McIntosh at alumni.utexas.net Aubrey.McIntosh at alumni.utexas.net
Fri Oct 14 23:10:56 CEST 2016

I have installed OLR onto a Ubuntu 14.04 / amd64 system.  I started it
(./oberon&) and it looks very familiar based on my SPARC experience in the
late 1990s.  I did build the Gadgets system in the x86 environment.
OPO.Mod fails to compile with a 155 error, so I thought I would mention
that.  CodeLength is redefined.  I skipped OPO.Mod and compiled everything
else, and started gadgets successfully.

I have a dual monitor system, and the Oberon window seems to be sized very
strangely.  I have set OWIDTH and OHEIGHT.  I am still exploring this.

I also cloned riscv-qemu from the above link using
> git clone https://github.com/arsv/riscv-qemu.git

I reviewed and installed some missing Ubuntu packages, and (re-)invoked the
command
~/riscv-qemu > sudo make riscv32-linux-user

I seem to have a clean make with "Nothing to be done for" reported several
times.  I am still reading the README file with a view toward knowing if
the install is correct, where any executables are, and such.

One of my interests is the very inexpensive MIPS architecture chips, $5 -
$10 or so from MicroChip, their PIC-32 line.  I noticed the mention of the
target-mips in the README file and the use of the Oberon OP2 Mips compiler,
and I wonder how much similarity there is between RISC-V and MIPS.  Is
there a RISC-V board?  It would be great if there was common hardware that
the Oberon community all shared, whether RISC-5 or whatever.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Peter Matthias <PeterMatthias at web.de>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am proud to welcome a new member of the Oberon/Linux Revival family. The
> compiler is based on the MIPS compiler and the RISC-V system should behave
> exactly as the MIPS system.
>
> Instructions for installation are here: http://oberon.wikidot.com/rop2
> compiler
>
> Regards,
>         Peter

(email is my preferred communication media)
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle
Austin TX 78723-1814
(512)-348-7401