[Oberon] Move over Raspberry Pi, here is a $4, coin-sized, open-source Linux computer

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Nov 7 00:40:41 CET 2016

Doug:

It depends on the goal. If I am going to deploy 100k such units, then every dollar matters. If I am going to develop some cool app for myself and a bunch of friends, like e.g. Oberon, then I need to ask "what is the value of my time"? Take a BeagleBone Black costing ~$50. We could buy a dozen books, download different flavors of Linux and apps, and start developing. It took us a few months to achieve something meaningful. (Look at FemtoDAQ.com to see what we did.) At that point it did not matter whether the board cost $5 or $50. Any $$ amount was dwarfed by the value of our development time.

I am not saying that the $4 board is bad. It may be a very good one. For a mass market application is it probably a very good choice. For a limited market application a more complete and costlier board may be more suitable.

Just my .02.

Wojtek