[Oberon] blackbox model view controller

Douglas G Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Fri Nov 11 08:31:38 CET 2016

SAIL was much simpler than Ada.
Compilation was fast.
It had the added LEAP feature with allowed one to use associative triples.
I didn't use that feature much.

Tymshare Inc <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tymshare> used SAIL on their
PDP-10s because the parallel programing
features of the language were more efficient than the Top-10 operating
system on which it ran.  Tymshare was located on Valley Green Drive
which Apple Computer has now taken over.  I and one other fellow wrote
an email system in SAIL for Tymshare that could handle 30,000 messages a
day.
We were pretty happy with that.

SAIL was transformed into MAINSAIL
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2464497/> (MAchine
INdependent SAIL) by Clark Wilcox at Stanford andEd
Feigenbaum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Feigenbaum> used it for
AI research and students of Carver Mead
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carver_Mead> used it for
cell libraries developed for silicon ASIC designs.  I took MAINSAIL to
Wang Labs and used it for
maintaining their multiple language voice mail system.

-Doug