[Oberon] Concurrency support in Oberon

Lars noreply at z505.com
Tue Nov 22 15:04:30 CET 2016

Replying to old post below:

> On 1/21/2016 5:13 PM, Srinivas Nayak wrote:
>
>> Can't we program a Linux like operating system using Oberon language?

then..

On Thu, January 21, 2016 6:55 pm, Douglas G. Danforth wrote:
> One would need to tap into the operating systems underlying "process"
> structures.

Isn't that what oberon "system" modules are for, escaping in emergency...

> The SAIL (Stanford Artificial Intelligence Language) which was
> algol-like had its own processes built into the language where process
> switch points were invisibly inserted into the generated code.  All of the
> complexity of communication and blocking between processes then needed to
> be handled, something I believe NW wanted to avoid.

Since most operating systems are written in C, and C has nothing like what
Sail had, how does C allow one to tap into processes without being a full
fledged Sail language...

i.e. Oberon is very similar in functionality to C, but at a slightly
higher level.. and Oberon has the "system" escape capability...

So are we saying that even with the System module capability or "unsafe"..
one can still not create a linux (actually BSD) like operating system?
What is oberon lacking if so?

C has something for processes that Oberon currently doesn't?