[Oberon] Concurrency support in Oberon

Lars noreply at z505.com
Thu Nov 24 12:05:43 CET 2016

On Tue, November 22, 2016 4:45 pm, Douglas G Danforth wrote:
> "process" is the key word, not system.

But the question is, in order to implement it in oberon, you have to use a
unsafe/system module, or regular oberon code without using system?

i.e. in oberon the SYSTEM keyword, AFAIR is for low level coding....

So, would this only be implementable if you use SYSTEM to discourage
dangerous language usage otherwise.

I thought the SYSTEM keyword in oberon was when you were doing C like
stuff. So if oberon currently lacks something that C has already, then it
would be something to add to SYSTEM, no?

If SYSTEM ever needed to be expanded to allow even more low level tools
than it currently has..... SYSTEM is where you would add that, right? The
question is always how much dangerous features do you offer to the
programmer in regular oberon, and how many dangerous features do you keep
in the system.

If oberon cannot currently write a unix operating system and C can, then
wouldn't you implement process related hacks into System, and not main
oberon?

Another question is, what will oberon have to compete with GoLang
goroutines or other language coroutines.