[Oberon] Concurrency, Active Cells, Chips

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Fri Nov 25 16:24:47 CET 2016

Felix:

  I remember e-mailing you to about Active Cells. The answer back then was that Active Cells were an academic project which maybe will be released one day. Was it relesed?

I would be interested in your comment about differences and similarities between Active Cells and Chips.

pypi.python.org/pypi/Chips
chips-20.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
github.com/dawsonjon/Chips-2.0

The Chips author recently released an implemenetation of the TCP/IP socket in the FPGA. It is potentially a very useful core, somewhat similar to Wiznet. This core demonstrates that Chips have a real world potential.

opencores.org/project,tcp_socket

I guess the real question is whether Active Cells have reached a status that they are usable for a non-ETH project. Or are Active Cells still an academic research?

Chips are meant to be useful rather than academic. I wonder if Active Cells are heading in this direction.

The relevance of this post to concurrency is that Chips are implemented with concurrent RISC cores. Read this:

chips-20.readthedocs.io/en/latest/home/index.html#under-the-hood

Thanks,
Wojtek