[Oberon] Functional programming and Oberon

Douglas G Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Sat Jan 7 21:47:18 CET 2017

Well, one can always create a TYPE Object and then
descend many other types from that.   I do that in
a module called Objects which exports a type
Object.  I then build generic lists, sets, stacks,
queues based on Object as well as Reals,
Ints, Bools, ... which are specific instances of
an Object.  All of that works well.

But one is not forced to do that by the language.
Its up to the programmer.
-Doug Danforth

On 1/7/2017 11:33 AM, Richard Hable wrote:
> Am 2017-01-06 um 17:24 schrieb Lars:
>
>> Do you mean an object that is empty without any fields in some bizarre
>> language? or an object with a bunch of untyped fields, maybe ruby?
> No, I mean a predefined type "Object" which is the implicit base type of
> all declared classes; e.g. in the Java programming language
> (java.lang.Object).
>
> It was proposed as an alternative to generics (type parameters) in this
> list and apparently has been introduced in at least one extension of the
> Oberon programming language.
>
> Richard

Danforth of the Greenwood