[Oberon] FTDI chips on Oberon boards

Magnus Karlsson magnus at saanlima.com
Sat Apr 1 09:20:24 CEST 2017

Wojtek,

Pepino, Pipistrello and Papilio Duo use FT2232H which is a high-speed
(480 Mb/s USB transfer rate) device, while Papilio One and Papilio Pro
use FT2232D which is a full-speed (12 Mb/s) device.  OberonStation does
not have USB support so no FTDI chip on board (you have to use and
external JTAG programmer if you want to reprogram the FPGA).

FT2232D and FT2232H are similar but quite different.  Both have two user
ports but FT2232H has significantly more capabilities in addition to
being a much faster part.  FT2232D can only do JTAG on port A while
FT2232H can do JTAG on both port A and port B.  Both parts can do
parallel I/O (like FT245 async FIFO mode) but only FT2232H can do
synchronous FIFO mode (on port A) at speed up to about 30 MB/s sustained
data transfer rate.  FT2232D is limited to about 1 MB/s in async FIFO
mode while async FIFO on FT2232H can do about 8 MB/s.

The FT2232D and FT2232H data sheets from FTDI has many examples on how
to connect the parts in different configurations (JTAG, UART, FIFO etc.).

Most JTAG programming software that supports FT2232D/H assume that JTAG
is on port A (since FT2232D only supports JTAG on port A) so I would
recommend using port A for JTAG on FT2232H as well.  The drawback is
that this will make the sync FIFO interface unavailable since it only
exists on port A.

>> I wonder which of these three designs is the most valuable for copying?

While Papilio, Pepino and Pipistrello all have JTAG on port A, only
Pipstrello has the full hookup of port B so that it can be used for
async FIFO mode.  If you need sync FIFO mode speed then just swap the
port A and port B hookup but understand that JTAG on port B might not be
supported by the JTAG programming software (fpgaprog does).

>> Is any other FW/SW reference design available for reusing the Pipistrello FT2232H connections?

Send me an email about what you need and I will put something together.

Magnus