[Oberon] Leveraging ETHO's superb HumanComputerInterface: Call-back/Norayr ?

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:22:28 CEST 2017

Oberon's HumanComputerInterface is unequaled in my opinion/experience.
Now that Windows puts a vital partition at the end, it's a problem to
install Linux to a laptop, without messing the WinTel system which may
have a monopoly on the WiFi-ability.

Because LinuxNativeOberon is small and runs nicely, even in a mere
FrameBuffer, and with good font size; this allows an ETHO system to
be run from a USBstik - comfortably.

The problem of LNO not being able to immediately read/write to all of
the FileTree can be minimised by some tricks, such as providing a
temporary link to LNO, by the linux application which browses the
file tree. Perhaps that can also simplify <clipboarding> between LNO
and Linux, and even the Windows TextFiles.

Also interesting, would be to have inet access, to be able to use,
[possibly modified] ETHO's Mail & NNTP, ftp, telnet... clients.

I don't know how LNO would communicate with the very good *nix
underlying internet connectivity? And was wondering how a naive
exchange of byte-blocks: LNO <-> Linux; via files would work.

Rather than a closed/hidden/integrated design, I propose an open
<bolted on> script based solution, which minimises the need to do
serious C-coding.

Apparently the LNO <-> Linux communication would need to be interrupt
driven [or in *nix jargon via "signals"]. While googling for ideas, I
came across: norayr/events_in_oberon/clb.Mod
    MODULE clb;

Would the so-called call-back mechanism allow LNO to read/write the
underlying inet traffic ?

== TIA.