[Oberon] FPGA - Save / Restore OBERON.FS

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Fri Apr 14 14:30:39 CEST 2017

Hi Tomas,

It might be very fast but you risk not saving enough sectors to include all
of your data. Any time that you save now will be well outweighed by the time
you lose later if and when you find that parts of some of your files are
missing.

Read Chapter 7 'The file system' of the Project Oberon documentation to
learn how the sector allocation system has been designed.

The number of sectors returned by System.Watch appears to be the number of
sectors currently allocated. What you need to do if you want to backup the
Oberon partition is save all sectors up to and including the *highest* one
that is currently allocated. This will be a higher value than the number of
sectors allocated if some of the intervening sectors are currently unused.

I initially had a similar problem with partial backups which is why I now
err on the safe side and backup the whole partition.

Regards,
Chris Burrows

CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com/RISC5