[Oberon] FPGA - Save / Restore OBERON.FS

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Apr 20 06:42:54 CEST 2017

Paul wrote:

>I map the entire filesystem into a single image file,
> just by re-implementing the Kernel GetSector and PutSector routines,
> without changing the FileDir or Files modules.

The same approach was taken by the "Linux in a virtual box" implementations running under Windows. For example, coLinux or Virtual Box. I am using both VB and coLinux a lot. Their filesystems take the form of the .img files under Windows. Inside the .img file, Linux is maintaining the ext2 or ext3 filesystem.

I found this approach very convenient for taking backups. I just zip an entire filesystem .img file and copy it into a backup storage. Typically, I can zip the 8-gig .img file into about one GB.

Just like Paul said, copying files between the Linux .img and the Windows side requires using tools such as samba, Secure Copy, or Filezilla. It is an extra step. It quite OK in practice.

My biggest concern about Oeron FS is its limited size.

Wojtek