[Oberon] Modulus on negative number

Jan de Kruyf jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com
Wed May 17 08:12:47 CEST 2017

Wojciech,
read the book, chapter 16
16.3. Floating-point arithmetic
The RISC uses the IEEE Standard for representing REAL (floating-point)
numbers with 32 bits.
The word is divided into 3 fields: s for the sign, e for the exponent, and
m for the mantissa. The
value is
                   x = (-1)s × 2e-127 × 1.m with 1.0 ≤ m < 2.0
(normalized form)
Numbers are represented in sign-magnitude form. This implies that for sign
inversion only the sign
bit must be inverted, and exponent and mantissa remain unchanged.
Zero is a special case represented by 32 0-bits, and therefore has to be
treated separately.
Furthermore, e = 255 denotes "not a number". It is generated in the case of
arithmetic overflow.
Traditionally oberon raised a trap on div by 0.
See also the Trap routine in System.Mod.
I have not checked yet how the O07 sources / compiler handle all this. I
will keep my eyes open while I am building this quick and dirty Scheme /
XML to Risc compiler.

Cheers,
J.