[Oberon] Fwd: Re: FPGA - RISC multiply/divide

Walter Gallegos waltergallegos at vera.com.uy
Fri May 26 13:51:52 CEST 2017

Tomas,

No magic, moderns FPGA have DSP blocks with dedicated hardware
multipliers in silicon, on the other hand division need be implement
into the logic farm; using one of the well know algorithms to keep logic
resources within reasonable limits.

Simulator waveforms show the process, 11 divided by 3, quotient = 3
remainder = 2;  one clock period for bit.

In practise,  one clock for setting up values, results can be read one
clock after calculus done; so, divide a 32 bit number use 34 clocks.
Waveforms correspond to our own VHDL version of RISC-5.

Walter,