[Oberon] Functional programming style for Oberon?

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 13:55:20 CEST 2017

While searching for <the partition/installation which can do java>,
I found this thread - while I'd been waiting for trankvila to be fixed:

Richard <portempa at aon.at> wrote:
>> My own attempt at a pure functional programming language based on the
>> Oberon syntax can be seen here:
>>
>> http://trankvila.org
> Having <multiple word identifier tokens> is disasterous!

] Why do you think so? Using upper-case keywords makes this possible with
] little danger of naming conflicts.
==================================
No! This is not the 1960s. InfoTechnology is not about computers.
It's about minimizing human effort - mostly reducing cognitive load.

When you first learned school algebra, you were introduced to "X" and "Y":
minimalist symbols/tokens [unlikely to be the first character of a R.Halbe
sentence/poem] each intended to encapsulate ONE single concepts.
  Imagine trying to do arithmetic: "47-9=38" using "fourty
  seven ...."
Image if the intellectual heritage of classical music had been written
in <R.H.poems> instead of minimalist/concise notation?

MicroShit's convention of using poems for Filenames is to placate the
office-girls; like naming directories as <just think of a 'folder' that
contains various papers>. We are scientist/engineers, not lawyer/poets.

If you want to do underwater snorkeling, you can't wear your suit-and-tie.
You must use a well-established/PROVEN [no need to reinvent] notation.

Let's not allow your effort of trankvila to be wasted.

Wouldn't it be interesting to make a TRANKVILA function/s that
translates the present <R.H. poems> into an appropriate notation ?
Eg. perhaps your original
"	primes of eratosthenes 10* := primes of eratosthenes (10);  "
would be translated to:
  primesoferatosthenes 10* := primesoferatosthenes (10);
would be translated to:
  primesoferatosthenes 10* := primesoferatosthenes (10);
at the 1st transformation stage ?
And then an associtive-list of <R.H.poems to AppropriateTokens>
could be applied ?
This could be a sample/proof exercise of what trankvila can do.

I'm keen to learn from your <FP for Oberon knowledge> which you got
from your work spent on trankvila.

Recently, I've discovered the massive increase in productivity of
FP/chained-transformations/piping/sequential-Modularity.

==Chris Glur.