[Oberon] FW: BMP; was "FPGA - Screen.Mod"

Tomas Kral thomas.kral at email.cz
Sat Sep 23 14:52:23 CEST 2017

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:32:16 +0000
"Skulski, Wojciech" <skulski at pas.rochester.edu> wrote:

> >Compression ratio seems 95%, but there is a lot of white space in
> >the picture.
>
> That is the point. BMP seems to be a very wasteful format because it
> does not compress anything.

I consider HTML/XML the most wasteful format, as it contains a lot
of white space and text, requiring a lot of processing power to render.

In my opinion today's HTML slightly evaded the original idea of
having human readable format that can marked up/edited by hand.

I would not mind BMP too much, as they can be encapsulated in other
formats and compressed therein. BMP simplicity may outweigh
complexity of other formats in many situations.

I remember early Apple attempts at hyper text
language, but it appeared to me as interactive bitmaps.

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral at email.cz>