[Oberon] FPGA - Bit reversal

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Sep 23 15:38:33 CEST 2017

Evil?

If you want to manipulate bits, then you cannot escape the fact, they they have their positions within the word. The position depends on a platform. There is no such thing in the world like a computer which would not depend on bit positions. A processor status or setup depends on particular bits within registers, the video or audio depends on particular bits, and so on.

I see this discussion as yet another chasm between computer scientists and engineers. The former want to live in an ideal programming world where algorithms move from place to place without changing anything. For them, bit positions are ugly details to get forgotten. For an engineer the very notion that particular bits are not accessible is a sheer absurd.

I build and program hardware. I deal with bits every day. Anything what hampers my access to bits is an instant enemy. Our friends computer scientists should one day wake up to the fact that hardware has to be controlled by accessing particular bits in particular places. Having good tools for doing this is essential. These tools need to be nurtured rather than frown upon.

I know that Chris is on our side. He programs microcontrollers.  I am talking to the others who still think that Oberon only runs on a Turing machine. Or on Windows.

Thanks,