[Oberon] Procedure variables and local procedures

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Sep 30 04:56:30 CEST 2017

> I would not dream of trying to use a 'bloated' language like Component
> Pascal to program a single-tasking application for a microcontroller with 16
> KB of RAM. I would also not attempt to use a 'crippled' language like
> Oberon-07 to write a multi-tasking, event-driven GUI program running on a
> system with 16GB of RAM.

Chris:

this is a very interesting point. A few posts ago I implied that Oberon-07 looks like a microcontroller language. Frankly, I expected to get spanked. Now you are saying the same. Would ETH folks agree? Was Oberon not meant as a pinnacle of language design, capable of the most demanding tasks like writing compilers and operating systems? Will the authors feel offended by the word "microcontroller"?

So is Oberon-07 intended to be a frugal general purpose language, or was it meant to be a minimalistic microcontroller language? I can hold to my opinions, but what were the authors'  intentions?