[Oberon] FPGA - Pictures.Mod composition

Tomas Kral thomas.kral at email.cz
Mon Oct 2 12:31:26 CEST 2017

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 20:23:21 +0200
August Karlstrom <fusionfile at gmail.com> wrote:

> common approach is to separate memory allocation
> and initialization

Hi,

EDIT(1)

I would NOT know the reason for separating. As FPGA { Oberon-07, V5 } is
about building system from scratch while making it simple, we could
possibly also experiment with new tricks here. I have therefore merged
these procedures into one.

> PROCEDURE Bitmaps.New(w, h, dpt) : Bitmaps;
> PROCEDURE Bitmaps.New2(B: Bitmap; w, h, dpt) : Bitmaps;

PROCEDURE New*(B: Bitmap; w, h, dpt: INTEGER) : Bitmap;
BEGIN
  IF B = NIL THEN NEW(B) END; (* create itself *)
  IF B # NIL THEN             (* initialise itself *)
    (* ... *)                 (* allocate itself *)
  END
RETURN B END New;

VAR b: Bitmap; p: Picture
b := Bitmaps.New(NIL, w, h, 1); (* creating bitmap *)
NEW(b); Bitmaps.New(b, w, h, 1); (* also creating bitmap *)
NEW(p); p := Bitmaps.New(p, w, h, 1); (* creating picture *)

Seems simple, does the job, bad idea?

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral at email.cz>