[Oberon] Clarifying type compatibility in Oberon-07

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Fri Oct 6 12:40:42 CEST 2017

Personally I’m indifferent. I can live with the current status quo for

arrays (where assignments of different ARRAY types are only allowed in

the case of open arrays). But I would also accept a relaxation of the

type equivalence rule in that case (knowing how easy it is to implement).

Personally, I’m not indifferent ☺

I know that it can be done, but the question is WHY. Only because something can be done is a poor reason to do it.

If you put  a := b in your code,  you do that as you know or assume a certain relationship between those two variables (they e.g. represent instances of the same or comparable thing). If this hold true, I don’t understand why you have to write two totally independent type declarations that (by accident) match structurally.

br

Jörg