[Oberon] FPGA - Colour Support

Tomas Kral thomas.kral at email.cz
Mon Oct 9 21:59:38 CEST 2017

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 17:55:09 +0200
Jörg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch> wrote:

> Other memory organization are thinkable. Eg stacked 1bit planes. With
> such an memory organisation it would be easy to increase the bits per
> pixel from 1,2,3 and so on. If you clear the whole framebuffer and
> only write to the first plane, you have B/W.

Hi,

I still think we should give stacked 1bit planes a try, it will
correspond to PO2013 chapter on Display. It will also be en excellent
start, as the colour logic could be coded directly on Oberon
machine, while providing instant feedback to the implementer.

3-bit, 4-bit may be implemented next, but is not straightforward,
[a] requires complete redesign of `Display.Mod', [b] cannot be coded
right on Oberon machine, but on a host system.

An idea, prepare Display0, accepting commands from a host system, and
mimic 4-bit raster operation from there, once designed can be made
into a regular module?

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral at email.cz>