[Oberon] Clarifying type compatibility in Oberon-07

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 17:29:37 CEST 2017

> On Thu Oct 12 16:34:47 CEST 2017 Diego Sardina wrote:
>
> Wirth said that these [i.e. structural equivalence for array
> and procedure assignments, but not for record assignments]
> are to be considered extensions to the language report and
> that a compiler shouldn't be taken as reference.
>
> [...]
>
> Wirth developed a compiler that doesn't match with the
> report and this is also claimed by him. Where is the problem?

Of course, if that is your problem definition, then there is
indeed “no problem” and we can end this thread right here.

I happen to think otherwise: While I do agree (or accept)
that a language report can (and in some cases better should)
leave certain things open, I do NOT believe that the important
question of whether an assignment implies structural equivalence
or not is one of those things.

-AP