[Oberon] FPGA - Boot over serial line

Magnus Karlsson magnus at saanlima.com
Fri Oct 13 20:05:31 CEST 2017

Tomas,

The simplest way for you would be to just re-synthesize the design using
your new prom.mem and then flash that bit file.

Yes, what you are asking for is possible using the Xilinx tool
Data2Mem.  It will allow you to take an existing bit file, replace the
content of one or more of the BRAM (block RAM) units in the bit file
with new content, and then write out the new bit file that can then be
written to flash using fpgaprog.  In our case the prom.mem data is
stored in one of the 32 block rams available in the Spartan6 LX9 so you
would need to find out which one the synthesis toll decided to use for
this purpose.  The Data2Mem tool needs this information in a special
file called .bmm that will also specify how the memory is organized (in
our case it's organized as 32 bits x 512 words).

The bottom line is that this is possible and is commonly done in
embedded designs where the main program is frequently replaced, but in
our case it's more trouble than it's worth in my opinion since it's so
quick and easy to just re-synthesize.  For more info about Data2Mem see
https://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_46945_Data2Mem_Usage_and_Debugging_Guide.pdf

Magnus