[Oberon] FPGA - Colour Support

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Oct 8 18:50:19 CEST 2017

Matthias:

> Full ACK here. I will likely port Project Oberon to ARM32 Linux. So I
> will write a 32bpp display driver anyway. 8bpp would be nearly the same.

Note that some ARM boards use 16-bit color. Here is an example. This is the schematic used by BeagleBone Black, which I copied verbatim into my MicroBone. They use some sort of "industry standard" color mapping scheme which is good for driving LCD panels. That's why they call these wires LCD... These LCD wires are then converted to HDMI, using a hardware converter shown in the schematic. I just copied all this into my design in order to stay 100% compatible with existing hardware, as you pointed out.

The BBB display driver must exist and it must have taken this color scheme into account. I would bet that the mapping from a general 32bpp color to 16bpp color must have been somehow implemented. I just want to bring this into your consideration.