[Oberon] FPGA - Colour Support

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Oct 16 20:10:15 CEST 2017

Paul:

  here is something even easier. The entire graphics system is embedded inside the chip. All the timing, the memory, everything. You communicate with the chip over quad SPI, or even single wire SPI.

www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT81X.html

FT812 FT81x IC with 24-bit RGB, resistive touch control, 56 Pin VQFN
FT813 FT81x IC with 24-bit RGB, capacitive touch control, 56 Pin VQFN

In order to use this approach the core of the system needs be redesigned because there is no memory mapped pixel map anymore. Basically, think in terms of commands rather than raster operations. What you get in return is the complete freedom from any hardware discussions like we have had on this list. Just pure programming, and lots of it. You also get a touch screen, which can be of tremendous practical value.

This chip was put on an eval board, of course: www.ftdichip.com/Products/Modules/EVE2Modules.html

Going in this direction could possibly lead to product development based on FPGA Oberon, or ARM Oberon, or Astrobe Oberon for that matter.

W.