[Oberon] FPGA - Colour Support

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 09:50:27 CEST 2017

Hi All,

The FT81x is better known as being used in the GameDuino 2 gaming adaptor
for Arduino.  There is a Gameduino manual which illustrates some of the
range of displays and graphical effects that are possible.

http://excamera.com/sphinx/gameduino2/

It is really great for displaying animated sprites and the like - and well
suited to 80's style games or generic GUI type applications - but it is not
a general purpose graphics engine.

It's main limitation is that it is restricted to drawing 2048 items from a
display list - and this includes text. So unless you keep your text screen
down to 64x32 or 80x25 characters you will not be able to send a full
screen of text.

That said - the FT81x is very flexible in it's display timing - and by
fitting a 13MHz crystal rather than a 12MHz crystal - modest overclocking,
- you can generate a 65MHz pixel clock - allowing a 1024x768  60Hz XGA
screen resolution.

Whilst designed to drive the RGB inputs of LCD panels - the individual RGB
data lines can feed resistor networks and using a similar method to VGA -
can drive an external flat screen monitor.

I produced a small pcb that has the FT812, XGA output via Sub D-15
connector and PS/2 sockets for keyboard  and mouse

http://sustburbia.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/meet-evita.html

regards

Ken