[Oberon] System.Directory options

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Nov 1 20:07:09 CET 2017

Nemo:

 adding tools like regular expressions ("embellishments" in Oberon speak) is the task for users. There are lots of applications of any sort under Linz V4, and even more in Component Pascal Collection. These can be ported back to plain vanilla Oberon System, if one is desperate. My proposition was more modest. Since there is a discussion of the directory listing options, and there is a proposition for adding multiple options, and these options are activated with single characters, it all starts looking familiar to me. If so, then why use characters like !@#$% for these options, if there is already a case, which is known to everyone? It will be more user friendly if similar functionality is provided in a way which we all already use on daily basis.

On a more general basis, the character "!" was clearly a hack. It was meant an as exception to otherwise clean rules. Apparently, clean rules led to restrictions, and the real life prevailed. The story looks familiar to me. An exception is tolerable if it stays an exception. But the exceptions, which proliferate, should be telling something. My proposition says "let's acknowledge that there is need for <something>", which in this case is a need for options. I proposed to essentially follow Andreas's thoughts, but use familiar characters for these options. A more thorough proposition would say "lets make the options stand out more clearly", which is already the case with other modules such as the compiler. I am not going that far.

Does it make sense?

Wojtek