[Oberon] Translating ETHOberon 2.5 to C

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Nov 20 15:01:11 CET 2017

From: Oberon [oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch] on behalf of Dieter [d.gloetzel at web.de]
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 6:16 AM
To: oberon at lists.inf.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [Oberon] Translating ETHOberon 2.5 to C

> This is, why I need a C-translation of my little program (some 4500 lines of Oberon).
> I will investigate for this purpose OBNC as well as Ofront.

Dieter:

  my own experience tells me that a programming language is a way of thinking. (A way of life for some.) I think in a different way when I program in Oberon, Component Pascal, or C. I wrote quite a few C utilities for my FPGA instruments. I claim they are good, but they have their own flavor. While Oberon has certainly taught me how to write good code, I am not trying to pretend, that my C utilities were written in Oberon.

Since your program is so small, you may be better off rewriting it rather than translating. If you are not fluent with C, it may be best to find someone who is. (Not me, I am now very busy.) I mean, re-engineering rather than translating is probably a better way to clean code.

Please feel free to disagree.

Thank you,