[Oberon] V4 versus S3 survey

Treutwein Bernhard Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Tue Nov 21 13:22:53 CET 2017

Just some thoughts:

>1. Would it be better if it were a growth story? Better in what sense?
> Better for whom?
[...]
>We all know how great it it is. Perhaps it makes sense to ask how bad it is. Why
>bad?

hmm, I am not sure. I guess a growth story would have suffered even more
from the forking than Oberon System suffered already (V4/S3/ETHOS/AOS/A2).

I personally think that its failure is due to the former requirement of a large
graphic display, which were expensive at that time (late 1980ies/beginning
1990ies) and the binary Text file format, which deterred many people.

>But Oberon and Oberon System is doing even worse than BB, if we define "bad"
>as "very few users". So why?

Lack of support? Lack of community? Forked repositories? No central platform?

--
   Bernhard