[Oberon] V4 versus S3 survey

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Nov 26 00:40:42 CET 2017

Chris:

  thank you! I visited the website which you pointed at.

http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/
It indeed says:
This webseite covers the original no longer maintained ETH Oberon.
For the current Oberon based Systems, please visit www.oberon.ethz.ch

This "current" website does not seem to exist.

There is better luck with the "download" website where I got the Win95NT/PlugIn/.
http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/download.html

Some persons listed on the "download" website are still active on this mailing list.

So it indeed looks like it is no longer maintained.

Looking at the module registry I can see lots of names and possibly interesting projects. If some portion of these projects were available on the web, then System 3 would get quite a boost in terms of available software.

http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/native/Registry.html

> ETH Oberon and Gadgets
> have not been officially abandoned. I am sensing that there is still
> a sense of ownership at ETH, even though I am not sure if they
> support it anymore.

It looks like System 3 has indeed been abandoned.

W.