[Oberon] Experimental Oberon

Richard Hable informujo at aon.at
Sun Dec 3 20:09:16 CET 2017

On 2017-11-28 07:29, Srinivas Nayak wrote:

> I am thinking, what all shall we loose,
> if we use Oberon with today's mouse usage pattern?

These are some things we would lose:

Scrolling: precise positioning with a single click instead of having to
drag things aroung.
Text editing: visible copying, pasting, and deleting without dragging
and scrolling or hidden state and cumbersome keyboard combinations
(CTRL-X/C/V).
Command execution: single clicks without time pressure instead of
stressful double clicks.

That does not mean that it would necessarily be a bad idea to support
conventional mouse usage patterns in the Oberon System: the advantage of
having the same use interface as on the main current desktop operating
systems might be worth it.

But that alone will not convince grandmas to switch. :)

Richard