[Oberon] Intermediate scopes in Oberon-07

Diego Sardina dsar at eml.cc
Fri Feb 9 10:30:46 CET 2018

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018, at 9:53 AM, August Karlstrom wrote:

> Haven't Niklaus Wirth updated the compiler accordingly or doesn't the
> disk image reflect the latest implementation of PO2013 or am I missing
> something else here?

For what I remember, in the previous Oberon-07 report only access to
intermediate variables was disallowed, but you were able to access to
other intermediate objects (types, constants and procedures).

Let's see the evolution.

Oberon:
"... the objects declared in the environment of the procedure are also
visible in the procedure (with the exception of those objects that have
the same name as an object declared locally)."

Oberon-07 report (2008):
"... the objects declared in the environment of the procedure are also
visible in the procedure (with the exception *of variables and* of those
objects that have the same name as an object declared locally)."

Later it was generalized to all intermediate objects and the whole
sentence was simplified in:

Oberon-07 report (2013):
"...the objects declared globally are also visible in the procedure."

Yes, maybe he didn't update PO2013 compiler's implementation.

--
  Diego Sardina