[Oberon] Intermediate scopes in Oberon-07

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 18:10:28 CET 2018

  > > In the entire PO2013 system with850 procedures (of which
  > > only 17 are local ones), there is only ONE local TYPE
  > > declaration and only 8 local CONST declarations.

  > Since this example has been cited several times now: I think
  > that it tells more about the programming style preferred by
  > Niklaus Wirth than about the actual value of local declarations.
  > Being able to declare types locally is not so much about
  > information  hiding as it is making the code easier to understand.

That may be true. OTOH, the authors of System 3 (ETH Oberon),
Oberon V4 (Linz Oberon) and A2 (formerly) - all considerably
larger systems and Original Oberon - also don’t seem to use
local procedures or locally declared types very much. And I
don’t think the authors of these systems blindly follow someone
else’s programming style.