[Oberon] CASE without ELSE

Josef Templ josef.templ at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 15:28:03 CET 2018

Hi everybody,

recently I noticed that there is no ELSE clause in the CASE statement of
the latest Oberon language version.
Has this been removed intentionally or accidentally? Or is there something
new instead of it?

If it has been removed intentionally:
Is there a significant simplification in the compiler or a speedup at
runtime?

On the other side, it puts some burden onto the programmer to work around
it.
As an example: I tried to implement a simple command interpreter that reads
a character
from a serial line (connected to a keyboard) and executes a related
procedure in an embedded target.
The natural language construct, I thought, would be a CASE for that kind of
problem.
Pressing an invalid key could be ignored easily by the ELSE clause of the
CASE.

- Josef