[Oberon] A CASE quiz

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Fri Feb 16 13:36:29 CET 2018

The bug arises because the programmer has tried to hand-optimise the code at the expense of clarity. Prevention is better than cure. My approach to this, regardless of whether or not CASE  has an ELSE clause, would have been

CASE ch of
"A" : value := 0 |
"B" : value := 1 |
"C" : value := 2 |
"D" : value := 3 |
"E" : value := 0 |
and so on.

In this way it can be seen quite clearly if any input values are missing, and the duplication of output values is also apparent. Let the compiler do the optimising.