[Oberon] Life without local procedures

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 08:14:21 CET 2018

  > I can live without intermediate variables, especially  > if they simplify and improve compiler code generation.
Only intermediate *variables* complicate code generation and slowdown runtime performance (when calling an intermediate procedure,and when subsequently accessing intermediate variables).
Intermediate *constants* and *types* come for free, both in thecompiler and at runtime, as their values are known at compile time.
This may have been one reason why access to intermediate *constants*and *types* is still allowed in the Oberon-07 revision, whereas accessto intermediate *variables* has been disallowed (however: intermediateconstants and types are *never* accessed from nested scopes in Oberon)