[Oberon] Life without local procedures

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sat Feb 24 02:40:57 CET 2018

That is precisely what triggered the discussion about the relevance of local procedures. Since the recent (2016) change to the Oberon language that disallows access to intermediate objects (not just variables) these use-cases no longer exist.

> But also if a procedure is technically independent of the calling
> procedure and could therefore be moved outside, it may make
> assumptions which only make sense in the context of the caller. Also
> then it should be made local to clearly state its limited
> applicability.

Can you point to an example in Project Oberon 2013 which clearly illustrates what you mean by 'it may make assumptions which only make sense in the context of the caller'. Alternatively, if no example exists, where you think it should have been done and why?

Thanks,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com/RISC5