[Oberon] "byte" vs. "octet", again.

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Thu May 3 17:13:45 CEST 2018

Hi Peter,

> So which is the better term in this case... Octet is OK?  Byte would be
better?

I would vote for byte, for consistency with Project Oberon.  For example,
ch. 2.1:

"...the disk is presented in terms of sequences of characters (or bytes)
called files..."

and the intro to ch. 5:

"...We can... identify the binary structure of text files with sequences
of bytes..."

Octets are not mentioned anywhere.

Oberon was designed and documented at the beginning of the 32-bit era, at
least for microsystems, where word-size and byte-size (thankfully)
stabilised for a while, so I don't think there's any ambiguity for byte in
the Oberon context.

Cheers,
Paul